A 49% success rate, still leaves room for 51% failure.
I think. Math was never my strong suit.
Let’s get right now to business with a story about a bag.
This is not just any bag, mind you. This is a bag that I saw with my own two eyes on the back of this fellow;
Basically, it’s a photography backpack suitable for action sports (and also horseshoes, darts, and other various of non-action types of sports).
The magic to its madness is a little garage the bag has in its base for your camera equipment;
I imagined that there must be some akwardness when fumbling around behind you (unless you’re super good at patting yourself on the back), but when trying it on and playing with some of the bells and whistles, I noted that the camera bag glides smoothly into its home, and a magnetic catch guides the clasp together, securing your payload.
I’ve long been enamored with the idea of getting a proper camera with which to document the documentable on this here site, but fear of risking the health and well being of such an investment within the confines of a standard backpack didn’t appeal to me.
I also couldn’t afford one, because of like, taxes, and groceries and water bills and junk.
But now that all of the components have presented themselves, and as soon as I can find a local bike swap, I have stuff to sell and a carrot to chase.
If you make contact with them, tell them you saw it here, and the person to whom you’re speaking will most likely make an audible fart sound with their mouths.
In other news not relating to bags in any way, shape or form, Maximo Supremo residents New Belgium recently released a number of video spots here, the most notable of which is probably the following;
It did my heart good, and I appreciated the (probably unintentional) tip ‘o the hat to my dfL compatriots here;
And the tip o’ the hat to their lawyers here;
From my perspective, drinking responsibly is a contradiction, but perspectives are like elbows and assholes in that everyone has some/is one, to varying degrees.
While we’re on the topic of drinking responsibly, photos from this past Saturday’s W.S.A.T.U. celebration have started to trickle in, and it seems as though with the exception of a few small bouts of barfing, everyone emerged from the day relatively unscathed.
Like for example in Minnesota;
Pic by Landon Bouma
Pic by Frank Miller
And my own, right here in California;
Certainly, if you dear reader, have a photo or two you’d like to contribute to the Flickr collection, by all means, please do.
stevil(at)allhailtheblackmarket(dot)com is the fast track to infamy.
Only eleven months and three weeks until we never do it again.
In news of friends helping friends help friends- This here is Ezra;
Ezra was one of the OG-est OG Nor Cal one speeders before such a thing even existed. He is a jack of all trades as well as a master at most, and is just about one of the nicest fellows you could ever hope to meet.
He is also currently in the process of kicking the crap out of some cancer.
As I’m sure you are well aware, this fight doesn’t come for cheap and we’re doing what we can to ensure he doesn’t have to sell everything he owns to cover the ever mounting costs.
If you have a five, ten, or twenty spot you could throw towards the cause, and help a grandfather of the dirtbag bike derelicts, then I’d like to please direct you to this fund raiser page that’s been established for him.
As I’ve said before, it breaks my heart that here in ‘Mericuh, the greatest country on earth®, its own citizens have to turn to the generosity of others for health care, while our own government is simultaneously embroiled in a war which has at this point has cost trillions of dollars, but it is what it is. At least we have each other, which is still a lot.
One gear, one brain, and one heart, or something.
Finally, I’ll remind each and every one of yinz, that everything Los Angeles Swimmin does is awesome;
After many years of near misses, the impresario of Los Angeles Swimmin, (pictured here, looking particularly majestic);
-and I have hatched an informal plan to finally meet up next month and go toe to toe in a battle against gravity.
For my part, one of my (almost) greatest hits was the following shot on the Umpqua River in 2007.
Please take notice of the rock jutting out from the bottom of this cliff and understand that upon entry, my spine was less than a foot from an unscheduled meeting with it and being turned into vapor;
Fingers crossed that upon my meeting with L.A.S., the only near misses we’ll have will be hot dogs into our mouths and drunken high fives.